YOU ARE VISITOR NO:
It’s important for all users of the internet to be aware of the consequences of their online actions – both good and bad! Taking care, being safe and responsible online and offline is an important part of your development. Here are a few tips to remember:
- Don’t give out your details on line. This includes your username, email, telephone number, pictures, where you live etc. Anything you give out usually stays on the internet for a long time and can’t be deleted.
- Don’t open emails or messages from people you don’t know.
- If something is too good to be true, it usually is and is best ignored. Spam / junk mail usually contain tricks and lies.
- Don’t open attachments in emails from people you don’t know. They could contain viruses that could destroy your hard drive or install software that watches everything you do – spyware.
- Spyware watches for usernames, passwords, bank login details and more. The attachments could be images or movies for adults, not usually a good thing.
- People can easily lie and pretend to be someone they are not, don’t do and say things that you wouldn’t do offline in real life – it could get you into trouble.
- Don’t meet up with strangers you meet online without an adult you can trust.
- If something happens that you don’t like or makes you feel uncomfortable – tell someone – it’s never too late. There are people who can help.
- Report online child abuse or find help and advice from people who really know what they are talking about and really do understand.